Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

what's in YOUR bread?



Bread is bread right? Wrong.  Although I don't eat bread myself, my kids do and I use it a lot to make lunch for my son for school. I read ingredients in everything before I buy it and it doesn't surprise me that bread too, is full of crap!! Whole wheat, whole grain, well that doesn't mean a thing!!
All breads you buy have some sugar in it, but a lot of them contain high fructose corn syrup which is a processed form of sugar and not good for you.  Also most breads contain at least 4 grams of sugar per slice, that's 8 grams of sugar just in the bread and if you make a sandwich that's not  counting what's in between!! Crazy huh? You think you are eating healthy ordering a turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread huh, well not as healthy as you think!!
There are brands out there that have less sugar and even better, ones that are organic. I am lucky to be able to shop on base at the Commissary so I buy an organic brand called Rudy's and its very inexpensive, organic and way less sugar.
Of course the best way to eat bread is make it yourself from organic stoned ground whole wheat flour, but who does that regularly now days? There are brands out there that are a lot healthier and yes pricy, but worth it in the long run, especially if it's for our children.  When it comes to them, for me, there is no hesitation!!
So READ what's in the food you are buying, and learn to make smarter, healthier choices for you and your family, start slow and before you know it, it will become a habit...a good one for life!!
BE WELL.

Here is a picture of the Rudy's brand organic bread I buy:


No comments:

Post a Comment